Have you thought of buying the best lithium-ion jump starter?
As a car owner, you probably have to deal with battery issues. That is when you start thinking of car jumpers and your neighbor’s car to resuscitate yours.
Good news though! You don’t have to call your neighbor the next time you have a dead battery! Thanks to lithium-ion jump starters.
They have been on the market since 2013. They enable you to jump-start your car by yourself. Before them, we had to use booster cables that require at least two people in most cases. The booster cables are bulky and therefore they are being replaced by lithium ion jump starters. The latter are much smaller and have a high-power capacity. We’ll delve much further into the intricacies of some lithium ion jump starters in the article.
So what exactly is a lithium- ion jump starter?
Jump starters are devices that are used to boost battery power. The conventional jump starters, as you are aware, required another car. However, the lithium-ion jump starters are efficient, portable and convenient. As mentioned above, you can use them solely to give life to your dead battery. Moreover, their versatility enables you to use them when you want to charge your devices such as phones.
Advantages of lithium- ion jump starters
- Compact: They aren’t bulky and they won’t occupy much space in your trunk. Compared to the lead-acid jump starters they are 80% smaller!
- Safe: They are safe to operate as their design integrates a microprocessor. Moreover, they have more safety features that will ease your mind as you use it.
- Store sufficient power: Despite its ‘miniature’ size, they deliver high performance. It doesn’t need constant recharging after use.
- Versatile: We mentioned that they can be used for different uses such as charging devices like phones and laptops.
Now that you know the benefits of owning a lithium ion jump starter, below are some indispensable factors you should consider before buying one.
- Battery Type: You should be aware of your battery type. Most battery-driven machines have a 12V battery. However, some such as classic cars and garden tractors are equipped with a 6V battery. Therefore, you should buy one that matches your battery type.
- Battery Power (Cranking Amps & CCA): The main purpose of you buying a lithium ion jump starter is powering your battery. Consequently, as you shop for one, you should identify one that has sufficient cranking amps and peak current capable of bring stating your car in an emergency situation. Cranking amps refers to the power that can be discharged for 30 seconds at 32 F while CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is the current the jump starter can generate at 0 F with the voltage being maintained at 7.2V.
How can I safely use my jump starter?
It could be your first time using a jump starter and you might be worried about the possible dangers associate. Before we even delve into how you are going to use it, it’s important to mention the two main hazards associated with jump-starting. It’s either you’ll blow up the entire battery or you’ll end up damaging the car’s electrical system. To avoid this, ensure:
- You connect the terminals in the right manner (Like pole terminals to each other)
- The jump starter should be placed on a stable location that won’t interfere with components such as the fan.
- Start the car.
- Disconnect the terminals upon ignition within 30 seconds.
By following these simple steps you’ll avert the possible dangers.
Here are the top 3 lithium ion jump starters
- Easy to use
- It’s compact.
- It has built-in smart security protection .
BASAF has different models with the most current being the JX12. The JX12 offers you some high ‘numbers’. For instance, you are assured of a peak current of 1200A which translates to more power.
The BASAF has been designed for 12V battery vehicles. With it, you can easily start an 8L gas and 6L diesel engine.
It is a relatively compact jump starter as it measures 9.9’’ x 5.1’’ x 4.4’’.
The model can hold charge for 6 over months! Consequently, you don’t need to have the pressure of constantly recharging it.
As this model is an improvement of the JX11, some new features have been installed in it. Safety is one key area the company has focused on this model. The JX12 comes with not one, not two but eight, intelligent safety features! They are over-temperature protection, overcharge protection, short-circuits protection, over-current protection, reverse connection protection, and over-voltage. With these features, anyone can easily use them without fear of harm.
Other versatile features that have been embedded in the model are a type – C IN/OUT port, which charges 5V devices. Additionally, it consists of 2 fast charging ports. Furthermore, it has a 15V output which can be used to power other car devices such as the compressor. An LED flashlight has been integrated on the device. In the event of emergency situations at night, you can use it. The flashlight has different modes: SOS, strobe and the steady mode.
- Intelligent safety features.
- Comes with fast-charging technology.
- It can’t jump start a battery when it’s charge level is below 25%
From the moment you see this model, you’ll be thrown away by its sleek yet muscular design. Despite its small size, the NOCO is capable of delivering up to 7,000 joules! To put into perspective, it can deliver 20 jump starts when it’s fully charged.
The NOCO’s dimension is8.3’’ x 4.1’’ x 4.6’’. The model is only capable of being used in 12V batteries. It generates 1,000 peak amps.
Its compactness allows it to be easily stored in a toolbox, center console or even your car’s glove compartment. It is efficient for gas-powered engines – up to 6.0 L and diesel engines of a 3.0L capacity.
The NOCO GB40 has an ultra-safe design. It has reverse polarity protection. More than that, it has spark-proof technology that allows the user to safely connect to any battery.
The model consists of a100- lumen dual LED flashlight with seven different light modes like the SOS signals and the emergency strobes. With the ability to change the luminosity settings, the device is adaptable to different situations. As the two models discussed above, you can use them to charge different devices. It’s designed to be used for different car sizes.
- They have advanced safety features as it’s built with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity.
- The NOCO is a portable device which is similarly compact.
- It’s versatile.
- The model is restricted to 12V lead-acid batteries only and can’t jump start engines that require a lot of power such as V8 engines.
- Only 1 USB port
Brightech Scorpion Portable Car Battery Jump Starter BASAF Car Jump Starter NOCO GB40 UltraSafe Lithium Starter
400Amp peak current 1200Amp peak current 1,000Amp peak current
300 CCA – –
– 9.9’’ x 5.1’’ x 4.4’’. 8.3’’ x 4.1’’ x 4.6’’
– 8L gas & 6L diesel engines 6L gas & 3L diesel engines.
Among the three models that we’ve looked into, I’d recommend that you get the BASAF (There’s no bias). It’s simple to use and has additional safety features which are crucial for first-time users. Moreover, the high power it discharges enables you to use it on a wide variety of cars. Apart from that, I find its design well thought out and its functionality on point!
However, this is not to mean they are no other alternative models available in the market. This is just but to help you minimize the myriads of options available and choose the one that will you give the best value for your dollar.